Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pure Imagination

I am a very lucky girl. I live in a world of make-believe. I live in a town that was made famous by and thrives on this alternate fantasy world. Its my job to help build this world of fantasy; this illusion that exists on silver screens and in little illuminated rectangles throughout the world. The fruits of my labor make people happy, they provoke thoughts in the minds of the stifled or they provide temporary sojourn for the tired, the unhappy, the bored masses.
All my life I've loved playing make believe. As a child my favorite pastime was "pretending" and while many of my school-age counterparts outgrew this love I never did. I thank the good Lord above that I actually managed to find an occupation that allows me, nigh encourages me, to hold onto that part of myself, rather than smother it into extinction.
I realize that some may consider what I do trivial, in some respects meaningless. Its unlikely that the entertainment industry will ever find the cure for cancer, a film probably won't lead to world peace, and a commercial won't solve world hunger. I may be nothing more than a dreamer and a fool but film is...everything to me. Okay, okay, a bit of a bold statement, so I'll bring it down a notch to avoid being trite. Film means an awful lot to me.
I believe in the power of film. Don't believe that film has power? Think of your favorite movie, or one that you watched over and over again in childhood. Now watch it. When the music swells and the moment comes you've been waiting for do you get chills? Have you ever heard a character monologuethat makes you want to be exactly like that character?
Maybe its just because I'm an admitted cinephile but movies are my escape, they are my inspiration, they are what makes me laugh, what makes me cry, what makes me think, what makes me go "oh shit" and beg for more.
Though I keep it well concealed, everyday that I come to the set I fangirl out. Now this isn't an all day thing, but when the boom mic comes down, the camera starts rolling, and director shouts "action", my inner nerd squeals. I may not be rich and I may not have the cushiest job but I wake up happy and I stay happy, and right now (without any kids to support, or loans to pay off) that is everything to me. I don't think I am alone in this sentiment, because when i come to work I am not the only one with a smile on my face.
When its time for me to leave this world I want there to be no "what if"s in my mind. I have dreams and I fully intend on pursuing them.
"Anything you want to, do it.
Want to change the world there's nothing to it.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination.
Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment